760-942-8505 Ext 104
- Intellectual Property
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Action Sports
- Online Marketing/Computer Law
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.Jack Canfield
Brian Dirkmaat is a partner in the firm’s Business Formation, Action Sports and Intellectual Property and Technology practice groups.
He advises entrepreneurs and businesses in all areas of business transactions. He has a reputation for understanding his clients’ business, allowing him to provide cost-effective solutions in a timely manner.
Mr. Dirkmaat gained extensive experience at several Silicon Valley law firms negotiating angel investor and venture capital private equity and debt financings, guiding founders in choosing and forming business entities and representing buyers and sellers in M&A transactions. He represents clients in many industries, including, action sports, cleantech, software, computer electronics, real estate, food service, automotive and manufacturing.
Mr. Dirkmaat has represented numerous foreign businesses and entrepreneurs in cross-border mergers and acquisitions, financings, entity formation and general business transactions.
He is fluent in French and conversant in Hebrew, German and Spanish. He lived in France and Belgium for 2 years and attended the Jerusalem Ulpan intensive Hebrew study course at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Financing Representative Matters
- Represented a cleantech company in its $4,500,000 issuance of Series A-3 Preferred Stock, its $7,000,000 issuance of Series B Preferred Stock and its $25,000,000 issuance of Series C Preferred Stock.
- Represented an online community dedicated to healthy, environmentally balanced, sustainable living in its $3,000,000 issuance of convertible debt and Series D-1 Preferred Stock.
- Represented a DSL optimization company in its issuances of Series A Preferred Stock and Series B Preferred Stock.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented an action sports company in its $47,000,000 reorganization transaction.
- Represented a French medical equipment manufacturer in its $46,500,000 acquisition of all the stock of a U.S. manufacturer of biopharmaceutical storage and transportation technology.
- Represented a U.S. shareholder of a French geomechanical software and consulting company in the acquisition of all the shares of the company by a global French company.
- Represented Hong Kong and United Arab Emirates based shareholders in the sale of all the stock of a U.S. IT consulting company to an Indian public company.
- Represented the U.S. subsidiary of a software development Canadian public company, in its sale of Canadian, French and U.S. assets of a software division to a U.S. public company.
- Represented a French probe card and IC testing company in its acquisition of a majority interest in a Silicon Valley competitor.
- Represented a U.S. public company organic restaurant chain in its acquisitions of several California-based restaurant companies.
- Chair, J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Silicon Valley Chapter, 2007 – 2009.
- Executive Committee of the Santa Clara County Bar Association High Technology Law Section, 2004-2006.
- Santa Clara County Bar Association CLE presentations:
- Quarterly Review of High Tech Law, May 2006.
- Annual Review of Hot High Tech Cases, January 2006.
- Quarterly Review of High Technology and Internet Law, September 2005.
- Quarterly Review of High Tech and Internet Law Cases, May 2005.
- Author, The Series LLC: Has Its Time Arrived? in The Real Estate Book: Reference Materials for the Real Estate Professional. 4th ed. (Etnire and Lee edits., 2009) pages 113-118.
- Business group presentations:
- Corporate Sustainability and Legal Structure, Impact Matters Series, a Conversation with Brian Dirkmaat, Impact Without Borders, March 3, 2016.
- Startups: How to Keep it Clean and Investment Ready, EvoNexus Wing Wednesday, April 29, 2015.
- Alternative Forms of Early-Stage Financings, EvoNexus Workshop, April 16, 2015
- Legal Issues in Starting and Running a Business, BYU Management Society, May 2007.
- How to Form, Run, and Improve Small Businesses, BYU Management Society, August 2006.
- How to Protect Your IP, Netherlands Technology Showcase, hosted by Silicom Ventures and Holland House, August 2005.
- Legal Aspects of Doing Business in Silicon Valley, Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency, January 2005
Honors and Awards
- Honors in Negotiations, 2001.
- CALI Award for Excellent Achievement in International Business Transactions, 2000.
- Best Brief Award, 1999.
- Admitted to the Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity, 1999.
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Award to attend the Jerusalem Ulpan intensive Hebrew study course at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1997.
- Louis and Ethel Zucker Memorial Award in Hebrew at the University of Utah, 1997.
Mr. Dirkmaat is actively involved in church and community service and enjoys surfing, soccer, baseball and long walks on the beach with his family and dog.
1140 South Coast Highway 101 Encinitas, CA 92024
By clicking submit, you expressly confirm 1. that an attorney/client relationship is NOT created; and 2. that you expressly agree to be contacted by one of our attorneys or staff members via email or telephone.