Gary L. SirotaPartner
760-942-8505 Ext 101
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.Mahatma Gandhi
- Real Estate
- Action Sports
Gary Sirota has been a full time practicing attorney in California since 1988. Over the course of his career he has transitioned from a practice that focused on complex business litigation and real estate, to a thriving corporate and business transactional practice. “Having the business litigation experience has helped me to understand and navigate the types of business issues that can, and often do lead to conflict.”
With his longevity in practice, Mr. Sirota has practiced through two full market cycles. He represented clients in the down economies of the early 90’s and the crash after 2008, and through the boom of the late 80’s and the mid-90’s through the first decade of this century.
Among the significant matters on which Mr. Sirota has worked is the development, from concept to implementation contracting, of a $230M international infrastructure project, representing the developer through Congressional and White House Office of Management and Budget review. Additionally, he has extensive experience in all aspects of corporate law, with emphasis on business start up, financing, private equity, and merger & acquisition. Mr. Sirota leads and coordinates due diligence reviews, sets up joint ventures, structures partnership, and advises on leveraged buyouts and related financing.
Mr. Sirota has deep roots in the Action Sports Industry. Currently he advises some of the best known global surf brands, including O’Neill, Rusty, Surf Hardware International/FCS, and others. As Co-Chair of Coast Law Group’s Action Sports practice area, he oversees international manufacturing relationships, import/export, international trademark, patent, and copyright, factoring, and letters of credit. Mr. Sirota advises on a variety of business operation sectors. These include distribution, licensing, and intellectual property protection and enforcement.
Mr. Sirota continues to represent clients in complex real estate and leasing matters, and has expertise in transfer and leasing issues related to Skilled Nursing and Assisted Living Facilities; having represented Skilled Healthcare, Inc., Center Street Management, LLC, and others in a multiple of SNF leasing transactions. In addition, Mr. Sirota has and continues to form and advise dozens of tax exempt nonprofit organizations. He has or continues to serve as General Counsel to Quiksilver Foundation, Keep a Breast Foundation, Water for Life, Children’s Lifeline, Protect Our Winters, SurfAid International, the Rob Dyredek/DC Shoe Skate Plaza Foundation, and many other international nonprofit organizations. Prior to practicing law and becoming a founding Partner at Coast Law Group, Mr. Sirota attended University of San Diego Law School, where he focused his studies on Business Formation, Corporations and S.E.C. regulation. Mr. Sirota holds a B.S. in Business Finance from San Diego State University.
Some of Gary’s professional accomplishments and associations include:
- Attorney, Asaro & Keagy, 1990 to 1992. San Diego law firm: practice areas of Eminent Domain, Real Property, Real Estate, Land Use, and General Business.
- Nevada State Supreme Court, Law Clerk to Justice Bob Rose, 1989 to 1990.
- District Court, Clark County Nevada, Law Clerk, 1988 to 1989.
- Admitted to California State Bar, November, 1988.
- Juris Doctorate, University of San Diego School of Law, conferred May, 1988.
- Bachelor of Science/Finance, San Diego State University, conferred May, 1984.
Legislative Drafting and Lobbying Experience:
- Co-authored Beach Environmental Awareness, Cleanup, and Health Act of 1999 (The BEACH Bill), H.R. 999 (Bilbray, R. CA). Passed House on April 22, 1999 by a vote of 432 – 0. The Act provides for creation of first National Water testing Standard, and $30 million in funding to States and Municipalities for water testing. Signed into law by President Clinton.
- Invited to testify and did testify to Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment, Transportation and Infrastructure Committtee to the US House of Representatives regarding H.R.999.
- Co-authored Amendment to American Embassies Infrastructure Bill/State Department Appropriations Bill of 1999, H.R. 1245 (Gilman, R. NY). Passed House August 27, 1999 by a vote of 427 – 0. The subject Amendment expresses a sense of Congress regarding a public/private infrastructure project.
- Principal architect and co-author of Title VIII to Public Law 106-457, the `Tijuana River Valley Estuary and Beach Sewage Cleanup Act of 2000′, enacted November 7, 2000 (S. 835, H.R. 3378).
Professional and Civic Associations:
- Honorary California Co-Chair, President’s National Business and Finance Advisory Committee
- Rotary International, San Diego Breakfast Rotary Club, Charter Member, 1990.
- President, Chairman, Board of Directors, the Surfrider Foundation, 1992-97.
- International Advisory Board, The Surfrider Foundation, 1997 — Present.
- Voting Member of the San Diego Mayor’s Clean Water Task Force 2004.
- Member of Mayor’s Citizens’ Environmental Advisory Committee, 2004.
- Sierra Club, San Diego County Chapter Litigator of the Year, 1997.
- Director of Legal Affairs, Incorporator & General Counsel, SurfAid International, USA, 2002 — Present
- Member at Large of San Diego County Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation.
- Published article in “Environment, The Science Behind the Stories” (2005), Brennan/Withgott, Pearson Education, Inc., Benjamin Cummings Publisher.
1140 South Coast Highway 101 Encinitas, CA 92024
By clicking submit, you expressly confirm 1. that an attorney/client relationship is NOT created; and 2. that you expressly agree to be contacted by one of our attorneys or staff members via email or telephone.