Defective Products May Cause Serious Injuries
From toothpaste to cellphones to toaster ovens, each of us use dozens, if not hundreds, of consumer products every day. While injuries from such products are relatively rare, design and/or manufacturing defects do occur and can present significant risks to the user. Determining the cause of a product failure often requires expert analysis and manufacturers commonly blame injuries on user error. It is thus imperative to retain a lawyer experienced in handling the complexities of defective product cases.
California law typically applies “strict liability” to those parties involved in bringing a defective product to market. This means that any company in the “stream of commerce”, from manufacturers to distributors to retailers can be required to pay damages when a faulty product causes injury.
Our personal injury law team at Coast Law Group LLP has vast experience handling, litigating and resolving product liability cases in San Diego County and beyond.
Product liability cases can involve nearly any product in the marketplace including:
- Industrial machinery and tools
- Heavy machinery
- Packaging equipment
- Computer-controlled devices
- Lawn and garden equipment
- Hand and power tools
- Medication and medical devices
- Automobiles and automotive parts
In 2020, there were an estimated 44,600 emergency department-treated injuries associated with (i.e., in use at the time of the incident), but not necessarily caused by, nursery products among children younger than five years of age.
Skilled Representation Is Essential
The defendants in a product defect case are often huge corporations, like nationwide retailers, with deep pockets to fight. Battling these giants, or their insurance companies, is no simple task. They typically refuse to admit that a product is defective, even when the facts and evidence are crystal clear. In other cases, a manufacturer may fail to warn consumers about dangerous aspects of a product.
Coast Law Group LLP’s personal injury lawyers have extensive experience handling, and winning, product liability cases. We’ve helped clients throughout San Diego County and beyond hold product manufacturers and retailers responsible by paying damages.
When an accident happens from the use of a defective product and you are not at fault, it’s critical for you to have experienced attorneys on your side. Get hold of us today at 760-670-4554 to get the process started.
We Are Here To Help
Victims of defective products may be entitled to compensation, called damages. While the amount of recoverable damages varies case by case and victim by victim, you may be entitled to compensation including:
- Medical expenses: These include the costs of any medical services associated with your injuries, including consultations, surgeries, hospitalization, prescription medications, etc. Future medical expenses may also be recoverable if additional care is expected.
- Lost wages: If an injury victim misses work, he or she may be able to recover lost income, even if their paycheck was not reduced. Victims who suffer long-term injuries may also be eligible to recover future lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: Noneconomic damages include not just physical and emotional pain and suffering but also inconvenience, anxiety, humiliation, disfigurement and other types of harm.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages may be awarded in a product defect case as a form of punishment where it can be shown that the defendant knew of the defective product yet failed to take action to protect the public.
If you’ve been injured by a defective product, don’t delay in seeking legal assistance. Contact the personal injury lawyers at Coast Law Group LLP at 760-670-4554 for a free consultation.